Sunday 28 October 2007

Wanted: One Mentor

Romans 13:11-12 says, "And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; they day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darlness and put on the armour of light." We examined this verse in my BSF class this week, and the kids heard the parable (from Matthew 25:1-13) of the ten bridesmaids, five of whom were prepared for the bridegroom to come and five of whom were not.

As I re-visited this parable with my kids later in the week, and read over the class notes, I was reminded of how vital it is for Christians to be up and running in obedience to God. It is important that Christians are wide awake, diligently doing the tasks God has called them to do, in preparation for Jesus' return.

I think a godly mentor who teaches, encourages and rebukes can be very helpful in getting us up to speed and keeping us running. I know that Jeff has benefitted enormously from meeting regularly with his mentor, the minister of our church (where Jeff is a Ministry Intern). I am starting to see the value for myself in having a mentor with whom I would meet regularly. In a little over a year's time (or a bit longer, depending on how Jeff's training goes), I will be a Minister's Wife and, because I know myself so well, I know that I'm not sanctified yet! I could learn a lot from someone who has been in this position before, an older woman who could teach me how to fulfil the role of Minister's Wife in a way that will bring glory to God. I talked to Jeff about it, and we came up with two possibilities, one woman from our church congregation and one woman whose husband works at Jeff's Theological college. For now, we're just going to pray about it, and see what opportunities God provides.

No comments: