Friday 29 May 2009

A little bit of Australiana

In the last week I have received two emails with photos that made me laugh out loud. I used to live in the Northern Territory of Australia, so perhaps that has affected my sense of humour. For those who have never been there, the two species of crocodiles (Crocodylus johnstonii and Crocodylus porosus) that live in the NT are both protected. Since becoming protected their numbers have skyrocketed and plans are afoot to introduced controlled culling, because they are becoming a dangerous pest. Saltwater crocodiles (C. porosus) do stalk, attack and kill people, as well as domesticated animals far larger than the wild pig.

This first picture came with the caption, "Pig hunting, Northern Territory style."(I can't be sure that isn't retouched, but it is definitely plausible.)

In the context of the photo above, this one seems somewhat ridiculous.

It sure is a lot safer living here in Perth, despite the Red Back spiders.

[I have no idea of the copyright origins of these photos. HT to the anonymous emailers who first sent them out.]

1 comment:

argsmommy said...

That crocodile is huge!