Sunday 24 May 2009

Salvation by God Alone pt 2

In reflecting upon God's role in accomplishing my salvation, I have been singing the song Heavenly Father, Beautiful Son a lot.

It is from the CD Valley of Vision by Sovereign Grace Ministries. The subtitle of the CD is Songs for worship inspired by the classic book of Puritan prayers. You can buy this "classic book" (or read a few sample prayers) here. According to my sources, it is OOP, so currently unavailable through Koorong.

I have particularly appreciated this song because it speaks of the role of each of the three Persons in the Trinity in bringing sinners to salvation. At different times in my Christian life, I have tended to focus on one of these three, perhaps to the detriment of the others. But
God, who is one substance (character, nature; HOLY) is also three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This song helps me to remember that all three have been at work in my salvation. It was not sufficient that the Father should send, His Son also had to go. My salvation was not only accomplished through the act of Jesus' death and resurrection, but also applied to my life when the Holy Spirit regenerated my heart, enabling me to turn in repentant faith to the Father for the one and only way He has made for me to be saved.

Heavenly Father, Beautiful Son

Verse 1
Father, You loved me
Sent Your Son to redeem
Jesus, You washed me
By Your blood I am clean
Spirit, You’ve opened these blinded eyes
And brought me to Christ

Chorus
Heavenly Father
Beautiful Son
Spirit of light and truth
Thank You for bringing sinners to come to You

Verse 2
Father, You gave me
To Jesus to keep
And Jesus, You love me
As a shepherd, his sheep
Spirit, You’ve given me faith in the Son
And made our hearts one

Verse 3
Father, You’re waiting
To hear my requests
Jesus, Your loving
Open hand is outstretched
Spirit, You’re in me, You intercede
And help in my need

“Heavenly Father, Beautiful Son” words and music by Mark Altrogge. © 2005 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).

[I wasn't sure about the ethics of posting the full lyrics online, but the publishers have made them available for free online here, and I own the CD, so I think it is okay. The image comes from here.]

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I love this CD. It has been my constant companion for three or four months - and our boys know most of the words too!!

Mrs. Edwards said...

I downloaded the Valley of Vision mp3 set yesterday, along with Songs for a Christ-Centered Life. I love both of these albums, and the Heavenly Father, Beautiful Son song is probably my favorite! I love it! But "I Come Running" is a close second.

Thank you so much for bringing the Valley of Vision album to my attention.

Sharon said...

I think my second favourite song on the CD is "Let Your Kingdom Come". I have a hard time not singing that at the top of my voice if it comes on when I am in the car alone!

~ Sharon