Wednesday 26 September 2007

Romans 13:1-7

This week my BSF class studied Romans 13:1-7, where Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome about how live with proper submission, respect, honour and obedience to authorities. Paul argues that all authority was established by God and as a consequence we should submit to those in authority as an expression of our submission to God.

Paul goes on to comment that authorities will commend those who do right and also act on behalf of God when they punish those who do wrong. Thus rulers are not to be feared by those who act rightly. (Paul confidently acted upon his own teaching when he appealed to Caesar, as recorded in Acts 25:10-11.)

As a mother, I have a God-given position of authority over my children's lives. It is a very important position. Re-reading this passage has reminded me of my responsibility to not only rebuke my children for their misdeeds, but also to train them in good deeds. Now I already knew this (I take my mothering seriously) but I am challenged as to whether I "commend" my children often enough when they "do what is right" [Rom 13:3]. This week, I have been encouraged to praise and reward my children for righteousness.

Now, I am off to look for an opportunity to commend my kids!

No comments: