Thursday 11 December 2008

Waterfall

My brother Daryl, who works at Kalgoorlie as a mining engineer, sent me this photo, taken today at the Argo mine:Now I couldn't understand this image immediately, when he described it as a "waterfall", and neither could Jeff. So I'll explain it. The walls of the mine are normally black, like the rocks at the right of the photo. The soil around Kalgoorlie is red desert sand. So what colour is water that has rushed over this red sand? It's reddish brown. Thus the gigantic brown flow pouring into the pit in the centre of the image is a massive waterfall, as are the other streams of brown to the left of the photo.

Just to give you a sense of proportion, the black cylinder at the bottom of the pit (LHS) is a tank which is about the height of a house I think. The entire pit down to the entrance of the actual mine is 105m (almost 115 yards) deep.

Isn't that amazing?

1 comment:

argsmommy said...

I was thinking, "that is amazing," before I read your last line. ; )

Kellie