Thursday 1 November 2007

Leaving Gaps

Recently I ran across the class outline of a class from Tobin's Labs titled Are You Leaving (GASP!) Gaps? and it really made me think about what we will be leaving out of our children's education. The author, Tammy Duby, makes a point about the difference between real gaps and perceived gaps and our role in choosing how we deal with gaps.

Once we recognise that something truly is missing from our children's education, we can make a choice: will I attempt to bridge this gap, or won't I? Some gaps I am quite content to leave in my children's education, such as the need to learn to stand in two straight lines before coming through a door. Another gap may have me so concerned when I identify it that I decide I need to address it immediately.

One really helpful part of this outline listed some comparisons. The examples are mine.
1. Things that never change, which are crucial to include in our children's education, such as knowledge of the gospel of salvation throught faith in Jesus Christ.
2. Things that many change, which are "excellent" and therefore important to include, such as enjoyment and understanding of literature and knowledge of mathematics, science and history.
3. Things that constantly change as our children grow older and interests change, which are good to include, such as developing Joshua's present interest in dinosaurs.
4. Things we do not envisage changing, that are missable, such as large-scale bullying.

I will be thinking more on this when I have my homeschool planning week in a month's time, after Jeff finishes his exams. As I revisit my plans for our schedule, chores, character goals and curriculum for 2008, I will be asking myself, "Is there a gap here? Should there be? How can I build a bridge?"

No comments: