Thursday 8 January 2009

New Year, No Nappies

This morning the first thing I heard at 7am was a little tinkle in the toilet. It was a good noise to wake up to.

For a week or so before the New Year, Abigail went down for her nap in underpants, and since she managed that without accidents, we decided she could try going the whole night through as well. So since the 2nd of January she has been wearing underpants to bed instead of nappies, and she has only wet her bed once.

This morning when I heard that tinkle, and then saw Abigail put her undies in the laundry dirty clothes hamper, where she told me, "I'm just going to pick my own clothes and get dressed", I had a quietly happy moment. I now only have one child out of four who still needs me to change his nappies and dress him.

My mothering life is getting that little bit easier.

Of course, I still have the teen years ahead...

3 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

Yippee!

We've noticed great strides in Toby in the last three weeks (not during sleep, but in waking hours) in potty training. I guess I'm too Victorian to blog about it, but my joy has pushed me pretty close to doing so!! We finally got serious with him and starting taking away "big boy" toys like his World War II airplanes, army mess kit, etc., when he had accidents. He noticed and made a change!

Amy

Sharon said...

That's a good motivational tool. For Abigail, the motivation was found in moving her from "little girl undies" (fluffy ones with plastic inserts) to "big girl undies" like Anna. Actually, Anna's hand-me-downs to be precise. She just didn't like having to go back to the more bulky ones if she had too many accidents in a given day.

~ Sharon

argsmommy said...

So happy for you! I haven't had to change diapers here for a few years, so I can tell you from experience it truly is life changing. : ) But do realize that it means your babies are growing up, so treasure every moment. : (

Kellie