Monday 3 January 2011

11 books to read (or finish reading) in 2011

1. Confessions by Augustine
I'm actually three-quarters of the way through this at the moment. But since I started reading it with my friend Shelley way back in June 2010, I want to commit to finishing it this year.
Finished! 31/1/11

2. King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard
Finished! 6/1/11

3. The Travels by Marco Polo
Finished! 26/4/11

4. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Again, I have only a few chapters to read to complete this book, but I think I started reading it at the end of 2009, so I'd like to get back to it and through it finally.
Finished! 12/1/11

5. Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus by D.A. Carson
Finished! 28/5/11

6. Desiring God by John Piper

7. The American Patriot's Almanac by William J. Bennett and John T.E. Cribb
This was my Christmas gift from Amy who has discovered Jeff and my woeful lack of knowledge of the history of the United States.

8. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
Finished! 23/1/11

9. The books of Deeanne Gist
I'm counting them all as one since they will each take me only a day or so to read.
A Bride Most Begrudging
The Measure of a Lady
Courting Trouble
Deep in the Heart of Trouble
A Bride in the Bargain
Beguiled
(With J Mark Bertrand)
Maid to Match
Finished! 20/4/11

(and as a contrast to the former)

10. Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory, complete and unabridged
It took my brother Daryl several years to get through this and he car pools for an hour each way to his work site, so it is quite conceivable that I might not get through it this year. But I'm determined to get started on it, at least.

11. The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
My friend Shelley has been telling me about this book for a year now, so I'm finally going to read it.
Finished! 1/4/11
Also Finished! The Bridge to Holy Cross and The Summer Garden 8/4/11

This is probably against the spirit of this 11 books in 2011 thing ... but I'm going to add
12. All the Harry Potter Books by JK Rowling
Finished! 9/3/11

No comments: