Saturday 21 February 2009

And now he's making breakfast!

This morning I woke up to the rattle of cutlery. A slightly scary sound when you have a house full of pre-schoolers. So I rose from bed rather promptly and took myself off to the kitchen to see exactly which pieces of cutlery were doing the rattling.

I found Joshua washing the dishes (!!) He had apparently just finished eating the breakfast of Weetb*x, milk and honey that he had made for himself. Sam was sitting happily at the dining table eating cereal from his own bowl, which Joshua had prepared for him as well.

Joshua told me that since neither of his parents was awake when he got up, he thought he might as well get on with breakfast himself. "I have been watching Daddy very carefully so I knew how to do it." He also mentioned that he thought cooking toast would be easier so he had decided on cereal because of the challenge. Personally, I'm glad of his choice. Spilt milk is a lot easier to clean up than toaster burns. And he had already cleaned up the milk he spilt, by the way.

I sat down at the table feeling almost completely redundant. Not much more I'm needed for really.

[Image from sxc.hu.]

2 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

The control is slipping...but the upsides are HUGE! At first I was frustrated by my kids helping themselves, but now I've learned to embrace it!

Good to hear from you...it seems like it has been a while.

Deborah said...

Good on him. Yes, he made a very good choice to go with the cereal instead of the toast.

I have caught Chloe disecting an english muffin and placing the pieces in the toaster. LOL. Just good for us that when not in use it's actually turned off at the wall and usually put away.

I wouldn't worry about being redundant just yet. You still have to make brekky for 3 others. :)