Sunday 9 December 2007

Doctrinal studies for 2008

I have just prepared my new schedule for 2008 and incuded daily Bible reading and prayer, alone and in Circle Time with the kids. One other thing I am hoping to add into my weekday routine is a short study on church doctrine. Recently while I was at a Christian bookstore, I found the book An Exposition on the Shorter Catechism, by Alexander Whyte, and I think this will be ideal.

There are 107 questions to the Westminster Shorter Catechism, the first and most well known being "What is the chief end of man?" The answer is: "Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever." This book contains each Q&A with a short commentary. I am not sure yet whether I shall simply read through the book, one question each weekday, or if I shall take my time, memorising each question and its related verses, and moving on to a new question only when I have accomplished this. Obviously the latter would be more profitable, however I am hoping to use the Shorter Catechism for Recitation, Memorisation and Copywork (Transcription) with my kids throughout their years in the Grammar Stage, so I might memorise along with them then. This would be the more realistic course.

I also hope to complete my last 3 units of the Certificate in Christian Studies in night classes at Theological College next year so I can graduate from that at the same time as Jeff graduates from his MDiv. The subjects I hope to be able to undertake are The Rise, Fall & Reform of the Church: Church History I; The Christian Life: Head, Heart & Hands; and .... aargh! I've just been over to the college website and they've changed the offerings for next year!! Well, those two subjects, anyway. That's my punishment for flippantly quoting James 4:14-15 to my friend R at church this morning: Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

Whatever I am able to study, I pray that my growing knowledge may bring glory to God and help me to enjoy Him forever.

No comments: