Saturday 8 December 2007

Pray for safety in the Sudan

This morning I received an email, simply titled "Pray!" from a dear brother in Christ, David, who has recently travelled to the south of Sudan to encourage Christian ministers and those who are studying for this role, as well as to spread the wonderful news of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. Years ago, David left the Sudan as a refugee, and now he has returned for the second time because of the enormous burden that God has placed on him to share the gospel with people from his nation of birth.

I would like to share an edited excerpt from David's email, and ask that you would join in me to pray for David's safety and his continued evangelism in the Sudan and also in Uganda.

"Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ from the Sudan. I trust that all is well with you. I arrived in Uganda. Had a time of real blessing with some of our Native Missionaries here. All are Sudanese preparing for Ministry at various Bible Colleges. I visited some of the Pastors in the town of J and had real time of encouragement from God's word.

"I then went to a Sudanese refugee Camp in K to meet some of the local Pastors and Evangelists in that camp, it was very encouraging and uplifting to see the hunger for the word of God from the Pastors and Evangelists, the open ears they gave to hear the Gospel. I was deeply encouraged and many were blessed by our time together. We are supposed to screen the Jesus Movie but we need to get a generator and by God's grace do that by the end of this month.

"I am now in the Southern Sudanese town of Y. It was a really rough travel with the road in completely very bad shape, but we praise God that we have arrived safely although we faced a fearful challenge on the way. Some many testimonies to be shared about the travel, the mercies of God even before the authorities at the borders, but within the southern Sudan, I thought that was the end of our lives! We were entering the Sudan from Uganda, as we all know that this is a country emerging from several years of civil war. Before getting to the town of Y, a former rebel was standing on the road, and stopped our car with a gun in his hand, just got in the car and forced the driver to go! That was the most scariest time in my life, he was angry, clearly possessed! As I bowed my head in the van in prayers, I asked the Lord for three things, 1. To get this man out of the van, 2. We would drop off and wait for maybe a truck, 3. I praised God if my life could end on the way, the Lord answered me immediately, another soldier came and forced this man to get out! It was a scary scenario! But I praise God, I am well.

"Continue to pray for safety. Many people are still angry and filled with hatred and desire to shed blood! Pray that the hands of the enemy that holds many people captives here will be broken and lives set free."


Some of you who read my blog already know David, who studied at the same Theological College as Jeff does now. He is truly a man who desires with all his heart to see people know salvation through Jesus Christ. On his behalf, I urge you to pray for him and for the glory of our great and wonderful God.

No comments: