Monday 27 October 2008

A Call to Spiritual Reformation ch2

As I mentioned, I have decided to post weekly comments on the book by Don Carson, "A Call to Spiritual Reformation", which I am reading slowly but steadily at the moment. You might like to join me in reading it, or simply learn from my comments.
---
Chapter Two: The Framework of Prayer

This chapter is based upon an examination of 2 Thessalonians 1:3-12.

Carson identifies two "donimant features" of the shape of Paul's prayer for the Thessalonians: thankfulness to God for evidences of His grace and confidence in Christ's return at the Day of Judgement.

With regards to Paul's thankfulness for signs of God's grace, Carson first considers the preoccupation of many Christians with material blessings (providence) rather than spiritual blessings (grace). "By and large, our thanksgiving seems to be tied rather tightly to our material well-being and comfort... If a large percentage of our thanksgiving is for material prosperity, it is because we value material prosperity proportionately." Does reading this strike a cord with you? It did with me, and caused me to re-evaluate how I pray with my children in particular. While I think it is wise to thank God in our prayers with our children, and not just ask Him for the perennial list of blessings for relatives and friends, I can see it is even wiser to focus our gratitude on the things which God values, those which will last eternally.

Carson then contrasts Paul's three priorities:
1. "Paul gives thanks that his readers' faith is growing." (v3a) Paul has observed the Thessalonians' increasing trust in God, and is thankful to God for this growth in spiritual maturity. Are you eager to grow in your faith? Are you thankful to God for the work of His Holy Spirit within you, drawing you closer to Him? I am thankful for God's work in my heart recently, showing me where I wasn't trusting Him, and giving me another opportunity to trust and place my life in His hands. I was able to attend a Trinity@Night course last term, which included deep discussion of God's sovereignty. I am thankful to God for his provision of doctrinal teaching which at the time seemed to be merely a matter of words, but which has come alive to me and given me great confidence and reassurance in the past month and especially the past week.

2. "Paul gives thanks that their love is increasing." (v3b) Paul is struck by the increasing love between all of the Thessalonians, and because this is obviously the work of God, Paul gives thanks to Him. Carson makes the point that because this growing love extends to the whole church there, it is identifiable as a specific outworking of God's grace. Does your experience of God's love spur you on to love others? Are you thankful to God for the changes He has wrought in your heart since you became a Christian?

3. "Paul gives thanks that they are persevering under trial." (v4) Paul thanks God for the example that the Thessalonians provide and for the encouragement and incentive to other Christians, that they too might endure through the trials and temptations which are inevitable in the Christian Life, and even more prevalent in the apostolic times. Paul's "boasting" is seen by Carson as public praise and thanksgiving to God. Do you revel in the grace which God has granted you to persevere with difficult tasks and endure difficult circumstances? Over the last few weeks I have been conscious of the peace of God, enabling me to deal with surprising and frustrating situations without losing my cool or breaking down in tears. I am thankful that he has given me an understanding of His will which has enabled me to trust Him and move forward confidently, even without knowing exactly where we are going as a family.

Carson then turns to Paul's confidence in the prospect of ultimate vindication for the Thessalonians. This vindication will be brought about by Christ's return to judge all people.

Carson contrasts two results of Christ's inevitable return:
1. "For believers, there will be vindication." (vv6-7,10) Carson points out that the sense of expectancy which is evident in Paul's words to the Thessalonians is sadly lacking in western evangelical circles, and I agree. Having recently studied Matthew 24&25 in my BSF class, I was left with a heart divided between eagerness for Christ's return and hesitation at the thought of all those I know and love (including, perhaps, my younger children) who are not Christians. Yet even with this study, I wish I was more moved with joy at the thought of Jesus' return. I was talking about it this morning with my son, though, and I can see his enthusiasm. I am thankful to god for the witness of his eager faith! What is it that makes you look forward to Christ's return?

2. "For others, there will be retribution." (vv8-9) Carson explains: "His holiness demands retribution; his love sends his own Son to absorb that retribution on behalf of others. The cross simultaneously stands as the irrefutable evidence that God demands retribution, and cries out that it is the measure of God's love. ... But what if men and women reject that sacrifice? ... If we refuse to acknowledge that we deserve retribution, refuse to accept the forgiveness available because, out of God's indescribable love, Jesus suffered retribution in order to reconcile sinners like us to God, then we must face that retribution ourselves."Do you understand that God's love is only of value if also seen in terms of His justice?

As Carson points out in summary, "In our pragmatic, materialistic society, where each of us seeks comfort and 'fulfillment' and respect, it is hard to follow a despised, crucified Messiah - unless we fix our eyes on the end." We must pray with eternity in mind.
---
Next week: Worthy Petitions - 2 Thessalonians 1:1-12

[Cover image from koorong.]

No comments: