Thursday 16 October 2008

Mother Love

The following is a quote from Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell. it is one of the most beautiful, truest expressions of Mother Love that I have ever been blessed to read.

It was her own, her darling, her individual baby, already, though not an hour old, separate and sole in her heart, strangely filling up its measure with love and peace, and even hope. For here was a new, pure, beautiful, innocent life, which she fondly imagined, in that early passion of maternal love, she could guard from every touch of corrupting sin by ever watchful and most tender care. And her mother had thought the same, most probably; and thousands of others think the same, and pray to God to purify and cleanse their souls, that they may be fit guardians for their little children. Oh, how Ruth prayed, even while she was yet too weak to speak; and how she felt the beauty and significance of the words, 'Our Father!' ...

'Ah, my darling!' said Ruth, falling back weak and weary. 'If God will but spare you to me, never mother did more than I will. I have done you a grievous wrong - but, if I may but live, I will spend my life in serving you!'


'And in serving God!' said Miss Benson, with tears in her eyes. 'You must not make him into an idol, or God will, perhaps, punish you through him.'


A pang of affright shot through Ruth's heart at these words; had she already sinned and made her child into an idol, and was there punishment already in store for her through him? But then the internal voice whispered that God was 'Our Father', and that He knew our frame, and knew how natural was the first outburst of a mother's love; so, although she treasured up the warning, she ceased to affright herself for what had already gushed forth.

[Cover image from Penguin.]

3 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

That really captures it doesn't it?

I'm not familiar with this book but I sure would like to read more. Another one for the list...

Sharon said...

I have a good friend reading through my copy of Wives and Daughters by the same author at the moment. If you're looking for a taste of Gaskell without the reading time, the BBC have put out a good DVD series of this book (Gaskell's last) which stays pretty close to the story line. Mind you, there are a few DVDs in the set (can't remember how many, another friend leant them to me) so you might spend a few evenings watching it as well. Not quite as long as reading. I would think the DVDs would be suitable for your girls to watch as well, even though they would be too young to read the book, or at least within the next few years. You can read my review of Wives and Daughters here: http://equipacademy.blogspot.com/2008/03/books-by-elizabeth-gaskell.html.

~ Sharon

Mrs. Edwards said...

I'll have to put this series on my Netflix movie queue, although I probably won't get to watch right away. Thanks for the tip. After reading your post, I found the books on Amazon and so forth, read about them, and couldn't believe that I was unfamiliar with them!

I'll be sure to check out your review of Wives and Daughters later today.

It is always good to hear from you...