Monday 10 November 2008

A Call to Spiritual Reformation ch3

Sorry this has taken so long. I am posting it with the date I began to write it (Monday) or otherwise next week's comment will come too close!
As I mentioned, I have decided to post weekly comments on the book by Don Carson, "A Call to Spiritual Reformation", which I am reading slowly but steadily at the moment. You might like to join me in reading it, or simply learn from my comments.
---
Chapter Three: Worthy Petitions

This chapter is based upon an examination of 2 Thessalonians 1:1-12.

Carson identifies two petitions (requests of God) which Paul makes in his letter to the Thessalonian Christians. He then discusses the "goal" and "ground" of Paul's prayer.

1. "Paul prays that God might count these Christians worthy of their calling." (v11a)
Carson explains that "Paul is not here praying that the Thessalonians might somehow become worthy enough to be called." Instead, Paul is praying that they might live up to the calling that God has already made. As Paul wrote to the Ephesians (4:1), "I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received." Paul is writing of his expectations for the growing sanctification of the Thessalonian believers, whereby they grow more like Christ until the time of their final glorification in Him at the Day of Judgement. Sanctification is the process whereby a Christian becomes what they had not been; as Carson says, "we are children of God because of his free grace to us in Christ, we must now become all that such children should be." Thus Paul is praying for more of the evidence of their faith for which he has already thanked God.
Importantly, Carson notes that "We are not strong or disciplined enough to take these steps ourselves. That is why Paul prays as he does." It is by God's grace that we enter His family, and it is also by His grace that we are conformed to the family likeness. Do you desire to become more like Jesus Christ? Do you pray that you might grow in humility and gentleness, patience and love? (Eph 4:2) Do you pray that your children will grow in godliness to the standard God holds them to: to honour, respect and obey their parents and to love their "neighbours", especially their siblings? Do you pray for your husband that he might grow into the man God wants him to be? From eternity's perspective, it is these things which should be prioritised in our To Do list each and every day.
This morning I prayed that my children would improve in their obedience to my instruction, and in their respect for me. I also prayed that I would improve in my diligence in godly parenting, particularly in the way I discipline the children with a complete combination of teaching, rebuke, correction and ongoing training, based on Scripture rather than worldly standards.

2. "Paul prays that God by his power might bring to fruition each Christian's good, faith-prompted purposes." (11b)
Carson says that "Paul presupposes... that God's people have been so transformed through their conversion to Jesus Christ and his gospel that they now develop new sets of goals." As Christians, the Holy Spirit within us prompts us to develop new plans and set off in different directions. To an extent we no longer hunger after the things of the world, but instead fix our eyes and appetites on things that will have eternal significance. How have your long-term goals changed since you became a Christian? How have your everyday actions changed?
Carson points out that Paul is praying for God himself to bring these godly pursuits to fruition and fulfilment. He identifies two problems: "We may have all kinds of wonderful ideas about what we as Christians may do, yet somehow never get around to doing any of them. Alternatively, we may immediately proceed to organisation and administration, and never seek, except in sporadic and incidental ways, the decisive approval and blessing of God on our Christian dreams." Do either of these sound like you? Christians need to be thoughtful in the way they go about their lives, not just reactionary. We must consider what God would have us do, pray and plan to carry it out and then get on with it.
This morning I prayed for my husband and the church he will pastor in the future, although we do not yet know where it will be. I prayed that God would fulfil our hopes by making a place for us. I prayed that Jeff would be able to work with the congregation to disciple them in godliness and with the local community so that they might come to know Christ as their saviour. I prayed for Jeff's enthusiasm and strength for the task, and that whatever he does at that church, that it will bring glory to God.

3a. "Paul seeks the glorification of the Lord Jesus." (v12a)
Carson explains that, while the immediate goals of this prayer are what has been explained above, the eventual end of these two goals is that God will be glorified. "The Christian's whole desire, at its best and highest, is that Jesus Christ be praised." Carson also identifies the problem of self-interest, and notes that Paul has recognised this problem and is responding to it: " 'We pray this,' he writes, not that you may be thought remarkable Christians, or so that you may gain a reputation for perseverance and spirituality and power throughout the Roman Empire, but 'so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you.' "

3b. "Paul seeks the glorification of believers." (v12a)
Carson comments that this second part of Paul's eventual goal is "startling". Paul prays for immediate goals (above) but one ultimate goal is that Christians should be glorified in Jesus Christ. Paul is not talking about worldly glory, the praise of men. Rather, he is praying with the Day of Jesus' (2nd and final) return in mind, when we shall all be made perfect with new bodies to live in the intimate presence of God in the new heavens & new earth (see Romans 8:29-30). This will be the conclusion of the sanctification process, when we are finally transformed to the likeness of Christ in His glory. This glory does not take from the glory of Christ, rather because it is He who makes our glorification possible, our glorification also brings Christ glory. (Got that? I know it's confusing.) How can sinful human beings be made perfect? Only through the work of Jesus on the cross and the on-going work of the Holy Spirit within the hearts of those who place their faith in Jesus and His atoning work. As we are glorified by His actions, the fact of our glorification will cause Jesus Christ to be praised and glorified for the work He has done for and in us.

4. Paul's prayer is grounded in "the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ." (v12b)
Carson writes, "Paul does not want to end his prayer by leaving the Thessalonian Christians with the impression that what he is really praying for is that they will simply try harder. At one level, of course, that is exactly what Paul wants. But Paul always recognises that if we try harder, it is because the grace of God is powerfully at work within us." Paul reminded the Thessalonians that everything they were capable of, all that had changed in their lives, in their attitudes, desires, words and actions, was because of the grace of God: it is God's free choice to support and strengthen the Thessalonians (and all Christians) so that they are capable of the things which Paul aspires to on their behalf. Are you praying for God to be at work in your life? Or do you just expect to do it all on your own?
---
Next week: Praying for Others

[Cover image from koorong.]

4 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

Very good, Sharon. Reading this comes on the heels of God showing me that I am forgetting to yearn for Christ's return. Six months ago my prayer journal was full of "How long, O Lord" prayers, but lately not so much. Not because I desire it less as much as I'm allowing other things to distract me from the focus.

I think it also reveals that I've allowed a bit of complacency into my spiritual life. The more I truly struggle against sin and yearn for sanctification, the more I ache for the completion of the process and the removal of sin from my life (glorification)--the hope of heaven.

Thanks for those great application questions sprinkled in the post.

Sharon said...

Ah yes, application questions. Can you tell I've been to the BSF seminar on Homiletics?

I'm so glad this has spurred you on... and in ways quite different to how it has impacted me. Makes me think again as well.

~ Sharon

argsmommy said...

Sharon,

I'm not sure how I missed this post! I have just finished Ch. 4, so I think I'm caught up to you now. : )

I loved the section on becoming worthy of our calling. This has been a theme that has motivated my husband and me for years. We use to live in Chicago and our pastor there gave a sermon series with the theme "being who you are in Christ." It has become kind of our equivalent of What Would Jesus Do? All we have to say is, "Be who you are!" to each other and it changes our whole outlook.

And like Mrs. E, I need to constantly be reminded to pray and live with an eternal perspective. I loved the illustration of the swimmer who gave up because she couldn't see the shore. My prayers of late reveal that I often give up because I am more focused on earthly gains rather than eternal value.

Thanks for this post and for inviting others to read along with you -- this book is helping me a great deal.

Kellie

Sharon said...

Sorry, Kellie, it's probably because I backdated the post as it took me a few days to write.

I'm hoping to do the next one tonight so I'm glad you've caught up!

~ Sharon