Thursday 20 November 2008

Jeff's last day at Theology College

Today is Jeff's last day as a Theological student (well, for now) as he sits his Theology examination this morning.

From tomorrow, he'll be "unemployed", except for his part-time job at our present church. He'll be preaching there in a few weeks, so it is not as if he has no work to go on with. But to a large extent he will be temporarily free of the duties and demands of service to a human master (lecturer, employer, etc).

So what will we do now? We know we we won't be staying in our present denomination.

Last Sunday, Jeff and I dropped the kids off with Sam's godparents so they could take them to our church for us. We went instead to a service at B Community Church, an independent church with an (Open) Brethren background. BCC is in a Perth suburb, a fair bit closer in to the city than where we now live but probably the same distance from the urban centre as our present church, although further east from the sea. They have been advertising for a full-time pastor for a few months and want to employ someone to start early next year. Our visit was one of the final steps in our consideration before Jeff definitely decided to apply for the position. After the visit, we talked to Sam's godparents in quite some detail about the church and Jeff's suitability for the position, and the position for him. Later that night, we talked about it together and with a friend from our home group.

Jeff submitted his application to be their pastor on Tuesday.

The elder in charge of the pastoral application process is away this week, so we won't hear if they're interested in interviewing Jeff until at least next week. And Jeff will be on holiday next week in Margaret River, relaxing after the stress of exam and project work. So we have a few weeks at the very least to stew in the sea of possibilities. Well, me really, Jeff doesn't seem to think too much about uncertainty in our lives, but I like to wonder and dream about all the possibilities.

Such as how I am going to cope with the kids on my own for five days while Jeff is flitting about the Margaret River.

Such as what special family things to do with Jeff at home all the time, for at least December and probably January.

Such as where we might live (there is a manse next door to the church but it is apparently pretty run down and possibly not big enough for our family - and all our bookshelves - to fit into). In the same suburb or somewhere between here and there?

Such as how on earth we would cope with the logistics of moving house now we have four kids instead of three, like last time, and a whole lot more stuff.

Such as how I will navigate from any new home to the school we have enrolled Joshua in for next year.

Such as what sort of pastor Jeff will make, after three years of edifying study at Theological College.

Such as what sort of pastor's wife I will make, now that I have to face the prospect that I really will be one, and possibly quite soon.

Such as what wonderful friendships are waiting to blossom in the new church, for me, for Jeff and for our children with the rest of the congregation.

Such as how cool it will be to listen to my own husband preach Sunday after Sunday!

Such as... the magnificently gracious way God has brought us through the past three years, while Jeff has been doing his Masters of Divinity. Thank You, God!

At times like these I am so glad that I know my God is sovereign and almighty and holy and, most of all, within me by His Spirit.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow - a big jump from school to being pastor. It'll be fun.

Re: bookcases
I am super impressed~!! I thought I had a few, but wow........

argsmommy said...

Well, I may only know you from reading your blog for a few months, but I think you will be a wonderful pastor's wife. Any church will be blessed to have your family.

Kellie

Sharon said...

Thank you Kellie.

I only hope that I will be as suitable "in the flesh" as I appear on this blog!

~ Sharon