Sunday 9 November 2008

Up close with a Ring-tailed Lemur

On Saturday I took Anna and Joshua to the Zoo for an Anchor Boys day out. We happened by the Ring-tailed Lemur exhibit just at the time they were beginning their public walk-through time. Joshua and Anna were keen to check them out up close, so we got in line and were in the first group to enter the cage. We'd only been there a few moments when I leaned down to talk to Anna about the lemur on a fence post in front of her... and then felt a weight settle onto my back with surprising suddenness.

"Look, kids, what's on Mummy's back?"

The other lemur had jumped onto me and stayed there for quite a while. The kids thought it was a huge joke as they watched her sit there. They were wide-eyed - both the kids and the lemur!

[Image courtesy Perth Zoo.]

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Now that's neat! Not your everyday occurance, huh? I LOVE Lemurs - I could watch them for hours.

Crazy busy around here! So burned out in the evenings that I haven't even looked at the computer and we are just surviving our lessons. I won't say I hate the chaos though - it's just proof that we are blessed with four beautiful children, right? :-)

Andrea

Mrs. Edwards said...

Wow. I'm not sure I would have handled that calmly and cooly, Sharon! I'll bet your kids were thrilled that it was their mom that the lemur chose!

Hey Andrea--I saw your post the other day about the discipline/character issues interrupting your day and can completely relate. Sometimes I literally walk through the school day with James 1:19-20 on a 3x5 card in my hand!
"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

And no, not so I can lecture my kids, but so I can submit my anger to God! It should be so obvious, but it seems easier to bear the Spirit's fruit of self-control with the Scripture front-and-center.

Sharon said...

Great to hear from you, Andrea. I am glad you are coping okay - I prayed for you the other day that you'd be able to keep on keeping on. I'm looking forward to seeing some work samples and pictures when you have time to put them up after all this business.

And that's a good idea Amy, carrying the verse around with you. The other thing you could do once you have it memorised is to just write the verse ref on your hand and then every time you look at it remind yourself what it says, and think how it applies right now.

~ Sharon