Thursday 28 February 2008

Religious Schools in The Age

My husband just pointed me to this article from The Age. It considers the role of private religious schools in Australia (highlighting Victoria) in helping or hindering social harmony.

I haven't read much from The Age before, so I don't have any idea whether its generally left or right on the political front, however this article seems to provide a very balanced consideration of views. One criticism is that it focusses too much on flashpoint stereotypical issues like the teaching of creation vs evolution, and sex/sexuality education, but this is balanced by the effort to present an Islamic perspective as well as the Christian viewpoint. This makes it clear that many of the philosophical and moral stands upheld in religious schools are common to diverse religions, and not just held by "those fundamentalist Christian nutters" as some would suggest.

And in the midst of this heavy thought I am interrupted my dd2 telling me ds1 has just flushed her undies down the toilet. There'll be more deep thoughts later, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

The perfect thing to gain mummy's attention - flush something useful down the toilet. LOL. :)

My oldest daughter flushed a pair of swimmers when she was two. I think a lot of children do it to see what happens. :)